Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Thursday, May 8, 2008

Prelude #1

I am creating this blog in anticipation of a solo bicycle ride across the United States, from Seaside, Oregon to Brooklyn, NY. If all goes as planned I will depart from Seaside in mid-to-late May.

My intention is to meander across the country slowly, enjoying the trip and not being concerned about speed or schedules. I recently retired, and for the first time in my adult life I am free of timelines and responsibilities. My only goal is gradual progress toward home, passing through Buffalo NY, I hope, before its first snowfall. My biggest challenge will be forcing myself to go slowly, especially in the early weeks, so that I don't stress my old, out-of-shape body and end up plagued with a series of sore throats/colds that prevent me from completing my little adventure.

Thoreau once said something to the effect that the pleasure of a journey is inversely related to the speed with which it is undertaken. That will be my motto for this trip.

I am fortunate that Leslie is so understanding and supportive of my plans, even though she probably thinks this is somewhat of a foolish undertaking. I guess that after 40 years of marriage she has gotten somewhat accustomed to my foolishness.

This blog is intended to be of use to any friends and relatives who want to check my progress from time to time. But my phone and email will be working, and I look forward to hearing from you all.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

HI Walt, this is Leslie's friend Alicia. Best of luck!

Unknown said...

Hi Walt, its Leslie's friend Alicia -- best of luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Walt. It's Barbara (of Barbara and Tom) from 225 EP. I've read your entire blog and your trip so far sounds wonderful! Good luck with the weather and I hope you don't need to use your spare parts and tire tubes. It's a beautiful day in Brooklyn - clear skies and I think about 50 degrees at 6:45 a.m. I hope to see Leslie today or tomorrow for lunch in the Garden.

Anonymous said...

This is Court P's sister again.
I forgot to ask when you think that you will be in the Albany area. We would be glad to host you if we are here. That is a big IF, unfortuanately, because we are away often... but it would be fun if it worked out.
We live very near the Rail Trail along the Mohawk and the Erie Canal.
Let us know.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Hi Walt, At the G.Saunter in May you said you'd last 2 weeks at most....2,000 mi into your journey and still moving!
Take care, Margaret