Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Starting to Blog Again

In October 2010 I was fortunate to have my old friend and fraternity brother, Mike Pickett, join me for a ride on the DC to Pittsburgh bike path. I spent about a week pedaling from Brooklyn, NY to Mike's home in Gaithersburg, MD. Then Lisa Pickett dropped us off on the bike path and we had a great week, following the C&O Canal Tow Path up to Cumberland, MD, and then the Rail-to- Trail Bike Path through the Allegheny Mountains to Pittsburgh, PA, along the route of the old Western Maryland Railroad. We had such a great time that we decided we should do it again in 2011, in the opposite direction and going the entire length of the trail (in 2010 we started at White's Ferry, 35 miles north of DC, and ended at Boston, PA, a bit south of Pittsburgh).

Fortunately, our plans fell into place and Mike, Dave Bouve, and I are starting out on October 7from Homestead, PA., a few miles south of Pittsburgh but, until the trail is soon completed into Pittsburgh, the northernmost point on the trail. Dave's also an old friend and fraternity brother, and Mike and I are happy that he will be able to join us. Two other old Brothers, Rich Hall and Chris Cushman, had also been serious about doing this ride with us but had to cancel out within the last few days -- next year, guys!

Like always, my training for this trip was less than adequate. I was in Alaska for six weeks this summer and didn't have a chance to get in the bicycling I needed. I did some limited biking in August and early September, and in late September was able to spend 5-6 days biking and camping, by myself, along the Pittsburgh-DC route (I just went from West Newton, PA to Frostburg, MD and back, around 200 miles). So I think I'm ready, and I know I am eager -- this should be a great ride.

Mike, Dave, and I will share a hotel room tomorrow night in Homestead, PA, and get off to an early start on Friday.

No comments: