Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Thursday, August 28, 2008

Day 104 (8/28): St. Ignace to Mackinac Island to Mackknaw City, Michigan

Mileage: 11.8; 3,188 total

You are not permitted to bicycle across the Mackinaw Bridge from the Upper Peninsula of Michagan (where St. Ignace is located) to the Lower Peninsula (where Mackinaw City is located). Your travel options are (a) take a ferry to Mackinac Island and from there take another ferry to Mackinaw City; or (b) have your bike loaded onto a truck and transported across the bridge (presumably this service is provided by the bridge authority at a nominal charge, and presumably they give you a lift, also).

I picked the first option, and am glad I did, because I very much enjoyed sightseeing on Mackinac Island. It is beautiful island, about 8 miles in circumference, with evergreen and hardwood forests. In the 1860's it became the most fashionable summer retreat on the Great Lakes. The thing that really makes the island a special place is that in about 1900 they banned all motor vehicles. The only mode of transportation is by bicycle or horse-drawn carriage, just as it was in the late 1800's. (Skate boards, roller skates, and roller blades are banned, also.) It was curious to ride around the island on the state highway, realizing that this is the only state highway in Michigan that does not allow cars.

There is only one town on the island: it is a bit of a tourist trap, but it is filled with nice old Victorian buildings, including the Grand Hotel, built in 1895, which is "noted" for having the longest porch of any building in the world. And there is Ft. Mackinac, an old fort that changed hands from the French to the British, then to the Americans following the Revolutionary War, then recaptured by the British during the War of 1812 (in the first battle of the War of 1812), then returned again to the Americans. It has been converted into an interesting tourist attraction.

The Grand Hotel, incidentally, was very impressive, especially when you learn that it was built in only four months! Also, it is built entirely of white pine: it is probably a wonderful hotel in which to stay, but I would sure want to know where the nearest fire exits are.

On the ferry ride to Mackinac Island I had a good time talking with Jack (2 years old?), his parents Sarah and Blair, and grandmother (I think) Bonnie. See photo, to be posted below. They were interested in my bike trip, and Bonnie, especially, may be ready to start bike touring herself. Go for it, Bonnie!

Tomorrow I intend to bike down to Petoskey, Michigan, where I will visit for several days with my cousin Carol and her husband Ken. I am looking forward to seeing them and their summer cottage.

1 comment:

christie said...

Walt, some things to think of as you ride along...

I'm wondering what your route is through Ohio. If you are headed for my home town, Chardon, they have turned the old rail bed into a short, but lovely bike path leading to another cute town, Burton. Chardon is a charming old town northeast of Cleveland that is known for maple syrup production. The old rail line dumps you out near State Route 87 and the town of Middlefield, the heart of Amish country. You would return again to the horse and buggy days and some beautiful country.

On another topic, I would like to invite you to stay with us as you pass through our area. I understand that you might be anxious to get home by then, however. Depending on your timing, you could either stay in Sparta at my mom's or with us in Mt. Lakes. I would also be willing to ride with you for a while if it works into my work schedule.