Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Thursday, August 21, 2008

Day 97 (8/21):Campground to Prentice, Wisconsin

Mileage: 69.4; 2,832 total

I ordered the special at the local breakfast restaurant -- it was a gigantic breakfast, even by my standards! See picture, below. From left to right: the first plate holds a potato pancake and a piece of French toast; the middle plate holds two eggs, four pieces of bacon, and two pieces of sourdough bread toast, each the size of an English muffin, but a bit thicker; the third plate holds a blueberry pancake. It was all very good, and sufficient to keep me going until a late dinner (although I admit I also ate some fruit and trail mix during the afternoon).

My first stop was in a fairly large town called Ladysmith, in which I enjoyed a large iced coffee and made some phone calls. I spoke with Mike, the bicyclist who I met in Montana and kept bumping into for a couple of weeks: he is doing well, still enjoying his trip, and having a brief layover in Ohio.

From Ladysmith it was about 40 miles to Prentice (pop. 600), the next town with a motel. I had a pleasant time riding in a light rain. In the early evening I stopped at a picnic area for a brief rest and some refreshment, and enjoyed talking with Ann and Peg. They are from Bozeman, Montana, and both were originally from Michigan so they were traveling together to visit their friends and family back in Michigan. I told them about Max and Dana and other people I had met in Montana. I did take a picture of them,which I emailed to them, but I neglected to ask if I could post it on my blog and thus I hesitate to do so. Ann and Peg: if you are reading this, please let me know if I can post your photo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Walt!

Been a couple of weeks since I checked out your blog and you're making some good progress. I'm very jealous, even though I've been commuting via bike all summer, the sense of adventure isn't quite there. That breakfast sounds awesome . . . Eat like a king in the morning, they say (bike it off all day). Do you feel safe? Have you got a good lamp on your bike for when you get caught still on the road et-cetera?

Keep it up!

Kevin E

Anonymous said...

oops,

meant to say, "Do you have a good light for when you get caught on the road at night?"

Though you probably figured it out . . .

Kevin

Anonymous said...

No need to post this, but I felt I needed to put in my 2 cents. I would prefer if they put the blueberry pancake and the french toast on the same plate, since they're the ones that will be getting syrup, and put the potato pancake on a separate plate, for applesauce or catsup. The thought of potato pancake in syrup is not appealling. But once that slight change is made, it sounds delicious!

Dana F

Anonymous said...

Walt, or should I say Terry. You never rode a bike in High School. I'm very impressed with your adventure and envious of this extraordinary experience. I'll expect much greater detail at our 45th reunion in May . Your old roommate, Don