Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Thursday, August 14, 2008

Day 89 (8/13): Brookings, SD to Tyler, MN

Mileage: 34.9; 2,414 total

Having passed from the great state of South Dakota to Minnesota, I now feel much closer to home!

I was disappointed to have ridden such a short distance. I didn't leave Brookings until about 1 PM, and then raced a thunderstorm into Lake Benton, MN. I lost the race, got soaked over the last mile, and killed time in a restaurant while the storm passed. When I got to Tyler, late in the afternoon, I decided to just stay there in the local motel.

Greg and Megan (see photo, below), saw my bike (and baggage) outside Tyler's restaurant, and stopped in to say "hi" to a fellow bike tourer. They are on a trip from Oakland, CA to Minneapolis, and are now close to home. I would have loved to ride with them for a bit, but their route was taking them north, whereas I need to go east, and slightly south, in order to pick up a package of prescription drugs that was mailed to me at an address in Mankato, MN.

Other than the thunderstorm (which raised severe hail and tornado warnings as it moved east from Lake Benton), the highlight of the day was coming upon more windmills than I have ever seen before. The windmills started in South Dakota, near the border, and ran east for miles into Minnesota, and also south into Iowa. I understand that there are about 1,200 of them, and that the number is likely to double.

No comments: