Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Day 95 (8/19): Durand to Brunet Island State Park, Wisconsin (near Cornel)

Mileage: 70.5; 2,756 total



After breakfast in Durand, Audrey gave me a shave and haircut ($10 total). Here is a photo of Audrey in her "personally decorated" barber shop.

I had gone to Durand because I had heard that there was a bicycle path that started in Durand and went to Eau Clair, about 30 miles north. But as I got started I found out that there was a series of "semi-connected" bike trails going all the way to Brunet Island State Park, a distance of about 70 miles! This was another really relaxing bicycling day, with not even many other bicyclists to be concerned about.

A couple of photos of the Chippewa River are attached. One place that I found really intriguing, but didn't take a picture of, was a wooded area that had no sign of any past community there; but a trailside sign showed a picture of the now-defunct town of Portersville, which had a population of 2,900 and several lumber mills before the mills shut down in 1908.

Arrived at the campground just as it was getting dark, pitched my tent, ate a freeze-dried dinner in the dark, and had time for a welcome shower. Plan to take tomorrow off a rest day.


No comments: