Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Oregon: Clatskapie to Scapoose




Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540

Begin forwarded message:

From: Walter Wright <waltercwright@yahoo.com>
Date: May 19, 2008 8:40:55 PM PDT
To: Walter Wright <walterwright@brooklynny.us>
Subject: Oregon: Clatskapie to Scapoose


Mileage: 43.9 miles today; 103 total

Leaving my motel the road started up what turned out to be a three-mile climb. After about 0.5 miles I excited a group of large buzzards in the thick woods by the side of the road. Then I smelled the stench of rotting flesh and was relieved to realize that the buzzards already had their carcass to feast on, and weren't waiting for mine.

After another mile or so, poking along at about 3 1/2 mph, I found a great pair of sunglasses on the side of the road -- much nicer than what I had bought for this trip. I am sure the previous owner was annoyed to have lost them, as I will undoubtedly be, too, when I lose or break them.

Soon I was over the crest and on a 1.5 downhill run. Another flat mile or two and then a steeper 1.5 mile downhill into Rainier. I stopped at the Evergreen Cafe for coffee and toast with peanut butter, which really hit the spot -- thanks, Barb, if you are reading this blog.

A Rainier local advised me that the Lady Washington was tied up at the dock a couple of blocks away, so I went over to see her. She is a 105 foot sailing vessel supposedly built as a replica of the first ship to sail into Puget Sound. She is used for educational purposes and was on her way upsteam to Portland. I was considering asking if the captain could take me and my bike to Portland, in exchange for my labor as a deckhand, but heard that she was laid up for repairs.

I continued, @20 miles to St Helens with another coffee stop, then about 10 more to Scapoose.

I don't normally expect to send such long messages from my iPhone, but this evening I have a very pleasant place to peck away on this tiny keyboard. I am on the patio of the Scapoose Creek Inn, owned and run by Sherry and Jerry. I am enjoying the cool evening, watching their two llamas graze in this quiet setting.


Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

3 comments:

Grammy said...

Except for all the hard work to get there, it sounds idyllic. I'm so glad you're doing well. We're all routing for you!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Walt.... Glenn just forwarded your link home to me. Wow! That's quite a trip! I'd love to know how you decided to start your retirement with the ride, and I'll be following with interest.

Barbara

Anonymous said...

Hi Walt, I am SO glad to read that you found my sunglasses!

Shoopie