Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Thursday, May 22, 2008

Packing: Clothes & Equipment

Dave B. asked what I was carrying on the bike. That's a good question, and I have been struggling to minimize the weight I'll be carrying.

On the first four days, from the coast to the outskirts of Portland, I went fairly light because I knew that I would not be camping on this portion. But as I leave the Portland area next week I expect to be camping more than staying in motels, because camping will give me a lot more flexibility in terms of how far I travel each day. Also, I somewhat enjoy camping, and expect to find quite a few nice campgrounds.

So, here is what I will be taking.

Camping Equipment (all very lightweight)
*one-man tent (MSR), with a rain fly and a ground cloth
*down sleeping bag (Big Agnes)
*self-inflating sleeping pad (Big Agnes) - the pad slips into an insert in the sleeping bag, so this not only saves weight (less insulation in the bag)but it prevents you from slipping off the pad when you are sleeping
*small cooking stove (MSR)
*propane canister (MSR)
*cooking pot (MSR - the propane cannister packs inside it)
*spoon
*matches
*sponge and detergent
*an insulated mug (I can put oatmeal in it, pour in boiling water, put the top on and let it cook in a few minutes)

Clothes
Note: For obvious reasons it all needs to be light weight. Also, it needs to be quick drying because I will usually be washing it by hand in a sink and expecting it to dry overnight. Certainly cotton is out.

For biking:
*three pairs standard biking shorts (they may look silly, but nothing is more comfortable)
*four shortsleeve biking jerseys
*four pairs of socks
*biking shoes of course
*a good rain suit - jacket, pants, and shoe covers
*a polypropelene head covering - these are great to wear under your helmet on a hot day, because they are a sweat band, plus they wick away sweat, keep those of us with thinning hair from getting sunburned through the holes in the helmet, and protect your neck from sunburn

For wearing off the bike:
*a pile jacket (which will double as a pillow that I can stuff into a pocket in the sleeping bag)
*polypropolene long johns, a long-sleeved wool jersey, and a pile cap -- this stuff, plus the pile jacket and the rain jacket should keep me warm on cold evenings
*two changes under shorts and shirts
*one pair of hiking shorts
*one sport shirt
*one pair nylon pants
*one long-sleeved "sunblock" shirt
*one pair wool socks
*one pair sandals
*one broadbrimmed hat to keep the sun off me
*one pair swimming trunks (which are actually bike shorts but look like swimming trunks
*one pair nylon gym shorts

Stuff that I am taking with the hope that I will not need it:
*a spare tire
*two spare tubes
*a bicycle tire pump
*a first-aid kit
*nylon rope (I guess it might come in handy for something)
*bike tools (flat repair kit, multi-purpose bike tool, extra set of rear brake pads, and so forth)

Food
I will be taking some very simple staples: oatmeal, dried skim milk, sugar, five freeze-dried backpacking dinners; beef jerkey; fruits and nuts for snacking. The key is that, because food is generally heavy, I will just have a few days "emergency" supply with me, and will be counting on re-stocking along the way.

Miscellaneous
*a Camelback for water (I will have three water bottles on the bike, and will only use the Camelback when water is going to be somewhat "scarce"
*a "Platypus" watercarrier, so that I can carry up to 6 additional liters of water, if necessary
*a multipurpose Leatherman knife/tool
*a digital camera with its battery charger
*a sketch pad, with some charcoal, pencils, pastels
*a journal
*sunblock
*insect repellent
*two pairs of sunglasses, plus my regular glasses
*a set of four bike maps
*compact binoculars
*a compass (I don't know why I would need this, but what the heck)
*a cable bicycle lock (combination, not key)
*toiletry kit: toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, soap, toilet paper (you never know when you might need this), "camping" face towel, and a full size camping bath towel
*prescription drugs: I take so many different drugs that packing it all actually is an issue for this trip, but I will have about three months supply, plus prescriptions if needed
*wallet
*passport; living will
*flashlight
*iPhone
*solar-powered battery charger for the iPhone

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you figured out how much all of the extra stuff weighs? I was wondering why you didn't get a little bike trailer (while staring at one in the bike shop on Saturday). Had you considered one of those?

Cormac and I are doing training rides for my 50K next week. Just the little 5 mile loop around the neighborhood for now but I will bike from our house to downtown on Sunday morning if it's not raining too hard.

love you

steve s said...

Walt - wanted to let you know that back on the east coast your blog is developing a bit of a cult following. A lot of people are eagerly awaiting your posts. Also don't want to add any pressure but I have a $100 bet with Lippman. He says you won't make it I say you will. Get pedaling!

Anonymous said...

Hi Walt, Shoopie here. That is a hell of a haul. A versatile credit card woulda done it. Find roads on which you can ride "near naked", too.