Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Saturday, May 24, 2008

Oregon: Linnton to Corbett (or, thru Portland to the Columbia River Gorge)



Mileage: 34.5 today; 153 total

Although I really needed the three day's rest in the Portland area, I was glad to get back on the bike today. This was a pleasant trip over the St. John's Bridge into Portland, thru residential areas with little traffic, along the river just to the north of the Portland airport, and then eventually to Troutdale and the Historic Columbia River Gorge Highway, then basically uphill as far as Corbett.


I am fortunate that Leslie is with me, traveling by rental car, until Tuesday, when she will need to return to the airport to fly east and I will continue, slowly, by bicycle. While she is with me all my "luggage" is loaded in the car!

In a recent comment, Larissa asked why I was carrying panniers rather than pulling a bike trailer, and how much does all my stuff weigh? Good questions. I considered a trailer, but decided that because some of my future trips might begin or end on the NYC subway it would be better to go with panniers. This morning, before leaving, I was disappointed to learn that my stuff weighs about 70 pounds! I was hoping that I could keep it to 50 pounds, but that goal seems about impossible. More on this weight problem later -- Leslie and I need to go out to dinner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Walt, Shoopie here. to save weight, chuck all spare clothes and buy replacement stuff as you need it along the way. chuck cooking stuff and buy food. Son Mike and I went backpacking a long tkime ago in Yosemite. After first day of hauling 45 pound backpacks, at the first meal we ate the heaviest things we brought! Lesson learned form those trips: you REALLY need about a quarter to a third of what you brought.