Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Saturday, May 17, 2008

Oregon: Seaside to Astoria



Oregon: Seaside to Astoria (24.2 miles)

This was a beautiful ride on a beautiful day--a perfect start for this trip.

This morning Tracey, Leslie's youngest sister, drove me and my bike to Beaverton for some final adjustments to my bike, and then took me all the way to Seaside for the start of my trip. This was just what I needed, because it was time for me to get started.

Over the past few days I had gotten a bit apprehensive about the trip: the reality of my inadequate training was sinking in; my lingering head cold and cough made me feel weak; I was somewhat intimidated by the weight of all the stuff I would be carrying, and didn't know how I would be able to haul it up hills; I was nervous about learning how to use the integrated shifting/brake lever system. I knew I should get started before wimping out completely.

The starting point, a Lewis & Clark statue by the beach, was packed with tourists and not very pleasant-- Seaside is a bit of a honky-tonk beach town. But within a mile or two I was on a little-used road climbing a long hill (@300 feet of climbing over @1.5 miles -- maybe not really to extreme, but we sure don't have hills like that in Brooklyn!). Then of course lots of downhill over rolling countryside with immense evergreen trees and occassional farms and horses. And then over a long bridge into Astoria, on the Columbia River about 15 miles upstream. From my motel I can hear a lot of seals barking in the distance -- I think they are hanging around a fish processing plant.

Prior to starting out, and contrary sound advice, I hsd very little experience with this bike before starting out -- I had logged a total of only 0.2 miles, in Tracey's driveway But it turned out to be wonderful to ride. It's low gears got me over the hills, and its hard, skinny seat was very comfortable. And for some reason, whenever I checked my speed I thought that I was going surprisingly fast for the effort I was expending!


Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Congratulations, Walt! You're on your way! I'm sorry you've had that cold and I can understand your apprehension as the day approached but I'm so glad you just got on your bike and started anyway. It's so fortunate that Tracey lives in that area and was able to help you so much and usher you on your way. Each day will get easier now as you build strength and get more comfortable with your bike. I'm glad your first day was nearly perfect weather-wise, and it's encouraging that your speed was actually faster that you realized. I checked out those towns on a map, and I think I'm going to enjoy becoming an "armchair biker"! or it it "armchair biker!"? In any case, keep us posted! ~ Melanie

Melanie said...

Congratulations, Walt! You're on your way! I'm sorry about that cold, and I can understand your apprehension as the day was approaching but I'm glad you just got on your bike and started anyway. (easy for me to say!) It's fortunate that Tracey lives nearby and was able to help you so much and usher you on your way. Each day should get easier now as you build strength and become more comfortable with your bike. I'm glad your first day was nearly perfect weather-wise, and it's encouraging that the speed was faster that you realized. I checked out those towns on a map and I think I'm going to enjoy becoming an "armchair biker"! or is it and "armchair biker!"?! In any case, take care of yourself and keep us posted! ~ Melanie

Dick said...

That's a great start! Keep it up! I too followed your route via Google maps. Tried to catch a glimpse of you but no success. Those 20 mph tail winds seem to be helping. Am enjoying these posts. Dick