Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Oregon: The Dalles to Deschutes River State Park


Mileage: 18.3; 243 total

I am blogging from my warm sleeping bag in my tent by the Deschutes River, by the site of a major river crossing on the old Oregon Trail. It is a cool, windy evening and I am glad to be here.

When I got up this morning I realized that I was still fatigued from yesterday's hills, so I decided to take advantage of an upcoming flat stretch of road and just take a "rest/rejuvenation" ride. I had a short trip in the rain, requiring little effort.

The scenery has changed considerably as I have traveled east(see above photo).

The rain had stopped by the time I arrived so I didn't need to pitch the tent (see photo) in the rain. All of my camping equipment was recommended by a nephew and I am glad I followed his advice. It's great. Thanks, Adam!

The campground is almost empty, with only one truck-camper and one other tent in sight. The tent, a quite large one, belongs to Maynard from Newburg (near Portland) who likes to come to the Deschutes to fish for steelhead. Thanks, Maynard, for the
beer and the story about how the state is trying to control the delinquent seals who hang out by the fish ladder--let me know if your plans fall into place for a trip to NYC in September so that I can give you some suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

www.walt-fatmanonabike.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is Leslie, wife of the "Fat Man." I got home early this morning after taking a red eye flight from Portland to NYC and was so excited to read the blog -- I miss you, Walt. I have been sharing your blog address with people here so you should get more comments. I hope the photos you referred to will be posted soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Walt, it's Shoopie; I'm with ya all the way, baby!