Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Prelude #6

Some viewers of this blog have expressed concern that its name may raise false expectations about my degree of obesity. Good friends have told me, "Walt, you are disgustingly fat, but you are not a Guiness Record Holding Porker, and that's what readers will be expecting when they are enticed by the name of your blog."

But I disagree. Sure, I can walk through any neighborhood in the U.S. and find people who are a lot fatter than myself, but my corpulence is significant. A working definition of "morbidly obese" is "being 100 pounds or more overweight." I am borderline morbidly obese. My current weight is 272 pounds. When I graduated from college I was 175; when I got out of the army I was about 180. So I would need to drop 92 to 97 pounds to weigh what I did as a young adult. That's a lot of excess blubber, and I will be feeling every pound of it when am climbing hills on my bicycle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you Dad!!! Have a great trip.

Louis said...

Since I am the first nonfamily to post I get to tell you what everyone else must be thinking: 'ARE YOU NUTS'. However that being written, the older I get the more I believe that the world would be a better place with more people in it who are NUTS. In fact you are my inspiration: At the age of 72 I am going to take up (not necessarily in this order) things that I have wanted secretly to do: (a) Skydiving (b) Piloting a small plane (c) Bungee jumping from the GW Bridge (d) Dating an actress. No matter what happens to me it is your fault.
Louis.

Unknown said...

Hopefully after all the biking, we can start a new Thin Man series.

Best Wishes...

...david (fishbaum)

Louis said...

Had a minute this Mem Day Sun morn to check in & see how you are doing.
Great day in the City & hope that yours is as nice. Louis.