Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Oregon: Wyeth to The Dalles

Mileage: 37.4; 224 total

Early this afternoon Leslie dropped me off at Wyeth, my ending point from two days before. Leslie and I had had a very enjoyable week in Oregon, especially the last few days in the Gorge, and it will probably be July or later before we meet again, so my departure was sad for both of us.

Below is a picture of me ready to go and fully loaded (the bike, not me).

The first 12 miles or so were on I-84: not pleasant, but actually not too bad.

The remainder of the ride was on the Historic Columbia River Highway and on beautiful portions of the original 1913 era Highway that have been restored for bikes and hikers. There were spectacular views (see photo) and an old tunnel (see photo).

As you proceed west to east thru the Gorge there is a noticible change from the rain forests of the west to the arid, desert area of eastern Oregon and Washington (see photo looking across the Columbia river to Washington).

From Hood River on the ride had lots of climbing, and I was glad to arrive in The Dalles!

Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

2 comments:

Grammy said...

Sure glad that only the bike was loaded.

Anonymous said...

Wow Walt, I have to say nice work thus far. I'm sort of envious of you at the moment. More of the travel than the physical exertion. Keep up the work and good luck!