Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ahoskie, NC to Plymouth, NC, Sep 15; 45 miles

Ahoskie was a bit of a dump--even the locals seemed to consider it as such. When I left in the morning I was looking forward to a big breakfast at the one restaurant in town, nut it was closed for repairs and I had to settle for McDonalds.

The ride was uneventful - another day riding thru fields of corn, cotton, and peanuts. And truckloads of lumber passing by. No
places to stop for a coffee or a cold drink.

At mid-day I found some shade on the porch of a general store that had closed years ago. There was a nice bench on the porch, and I had cell phone service for a change, so I spent about an hour catching up on phone calls and email. While there a local guy stopped in his truck to talk-- he was a very enthusiastic bicyclist, happy to tell
me about his bike trip last year along the bike path from
DC to Pittsburgh, and to hear about my
trip from NYC to SC.

Plymouth turned out to be a pretty, little, historic town along the Roanoke River (friend and Civil War expert Bill Anderson could probably lecture on the marine battles that took place here). I checked in to the beautiful Four Gable B&B, relaxed and cooled down and napped on a lawn chair in their garden, went out to dinner with the B&B owners Keith and Pat and daughter Rachel, and was sound asleep
before 9 PM.

Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

www.walt-fatmanonabike.blogspot.com

No comments: