Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Conway SC to Andrews SC; Sep 22; 55 miles

Today was hot and extremely humid, undoubtedly the "worst" weather I have had on the trip.  But I got off to an early start this morning and arrived in Andrews (which proudly proclaims itself as the birthplace of Chubby Checker), in the mid-afternoon.
 
My friend Chris, who lives in Folly Beach and is hosting the get-together of old fraternity brothers (there will be six of us), is planning to drive to Andrews tomorrow, with his wife, to pick me up.  He'll have his bike with him, and when we get to Mt. Pleasant, about 17 miles from his home, the two of us will ride the last stretch into Folly Beach.  That'll give me time to rest up before the rest of the guys arrive the next day.  So, this ride is about over.
 
In my post of Sep 16 I mentioned having received the sad news that Georgia Nelson Newman was seriously ill.  Today I learned that she died this morning.  Georgia had suffered a brain aneurism last week, and never regained consciousness.  She was a remarkable young woman: she never tried to draw attention to herself yet through her serene and cheerful temperment she endeared herself to all who knew her.  I felt very close to her.  In the space below, I am expecting my daughter to post a photo of Geogia and her son Aiden--it's an old picture, taken about 16 months ago, but the most recent I have of Georgia.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dad, really sorry to hear about Georgia. My condolences to Georgia's family.

Daniel

Unknown said...

Walt, I'm very sorry to hear about your friend; she sounded like a womderful person.

Kevin