Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Monday, September 14, 2009

Sep 14: Suffolk, Va to Ahoskie, NC; 59 miles

This was a good day, although uneventful.

After coffee and several bowls of raisin bran at the motel's "continental" breakfast I got on the road by 8 AM. I soon passed into NC, and by about 10:30 AM came to a little restaurant in Sunbury NC. The sign on the door said it opened at 11 AM and I decided it was worth waiting because there wouldn't be any othe restaurants for quite awhile. And it definitely was worth the wait! Theybfeatured an all you could eat buffet of southern specialties: fried chicken, barbeque beef, green beans, lima beans, collRd greens, potato salad, cole slaw, etc etc. It was great! And all for $6.50!

Most of the ride was on rural roads in fields of soybeans, cotton (I was surprised by that), and tobacco. Small, generally poor communities. I was frustrated by the fact that most of the day I was in an AT&T dead zone (and still am--fortunately the motel where I am now has WiFi).

I got to the small town of Winton NC atfter about 50 miles, and logged on a computer in the town library in order to figure out where to
spend the night. My preference was to continue for another 20 miles or so, but there were no motels or B&Bs iat that distance. My choice wad to continue for about 30 miles or go slightly off my planned route and find a motel in about 10 miles. I didn't think I was up to another 30 miles, so i chose the 10 mile alternative. I also spent time catching up on email.

I reached the motel before 5 PM and have been relaxing for a couple of hours. I'm going to est a bagel with peanut butter and get to bed early.


purer

No comments: