Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bath, NC to Pollocksville, NC; Sept 17; 56 miles

It was dark and humid a little past 6 AM when I left the motel. Really too dark to be riding, but I wanted to get a cup of coffee at a gas station a mile down the road and catch the 7 AM
Ferry from Bayview, another five miles down the road. The timing worked out well, and I got to the ferry with time to spare.

The ferry was a 30 minute ride across the Pamlico River, with me, two motorcyclists, and 26 cars ( it could have held 5 to 10 more). And it was free to all! Most of the vehicles on this early crossing were on their way to work at a huge phosphate plant on the other side. I spent the 30 minutes sitting with Louis Paul on the tailgate of his truck, whiie he told me all about the phosphate operation and his days in, and travel in, the Coast Guard in his younger days.

I continued on to Aurora, another 8 miles, where I stopped for a big breakfast.

I had never heard of the Neuse River before, but in the early afternoon, near New Bern, I had to pedal over a 1 1/2 mile bridge in order to cross it. About two thirds of the way across the bridge split into two spans-- I took the right span, and before long this split again into two spans. Quite a bridge over a river I'd never heard of.

I arrived at the Trent Motel in Pollocksville (pop. About 300) at 3:30 PM, but a sign on the door said "Back at 5.". It's about 5 now, so I'm going to go see if I can check in and get cleaned up.

Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

www.walt-fatmanonabike.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Larissa said...

Funny, I was just reading a pre-revolution book that takes place in the area you're in now.