Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Day 60 (7/15): Jordan to Circle, MT

Mileage: 69.6; 1,602 total

This was the longest (both in miles but especially in terms of time spent pedaling), and one of the more strenuous, days that I have had. It was characterized by continuously rolling hills and a fairly significant headwind for most of the trip. This kept my average speed down to only 8.3 mph, so that meant more than 8 hours of pedaling.

I was fortunate to be accompanied by Mike (see previous posts). He stuck with me the whole way and offered lots of encouragement. I slowed him down some, but not really too much. Also, for about half of the way we rode with Bob and Kathy, a couple from Blacksburg, Virginia who started in Seattle and are headed home; they each ride recumbents.

We got started relatively early, at about 7:30 PM. At a bit past the half-way point there was a rest stop, with running water, so we stopped for lunch there and spent about two hours, I guess, before continuing on. I need to get in the habit of doing this more often: starting early and taking a siesta during the heat of the day.

Mike and I split the cost of a $33 motel room, the last vacancy in town. He got off to an early start this morning. I slept late, recovering from yesterday's ride, and hung around town until the library opened at noon. I am only going to bike about 30 miles today, so, other than traveling in the heat of the day, my late start should work out alright.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Walt, Bob and Kathy from Blackdburg, VA, here. We hope you are doing well. We're now (7/17) in Williston, ND. We made it to Sidney yesterday (7/16) and found a room in spite of the warnings of the lady at the motel in Circle. We don't know which way Mike went as we haven't seen him since circle. The mosquitos about ate us up along the Missouri R. today, and we hope that's not a sign of things to come. Take care.