Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Monday, July 28, 2008

Day 71 (July 26): Hazelton Campground, ND to Pollock, SD

Mileage: 58.7 miles; 2,039 miles total

The highlight of this day was getting into South Dakota, a step closer to visiting with Mary, her mother Joan, and their families in Pierre, and then vacationing with Leslie who is arriving on Thursday.

Otherwise, this was a very grueling day, my longest yet. There were strong headwinds the whole way, seriously impeding my progress. And it was quite hot, with no place to get more water along most of the route -- I was glad that I had left Bismarck the day before with about 12 quarts of water. My average speed was only about 6.4 mph, so this resulted in a long day.

On the way I met Mike from Oklahoma City, photo below, who was traveling the L&C route in the opposite direction, supported by his wife in a car. He was raving about the fantastic tail wind that he was having -- I sure wish I had been traveling in his direction!


When I arrived in Pollock it was getting dark, and the lights were off at the local motel. The office was closed, but there was a sign stating which rooms were available and I took one, ate a dehydrated dinner, and conked out for the night.

No comments: