Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Day 66 (July 21): Kildeer to Hazen, ND

Mileage: 57.9; 1,857 total

This was another somewhat uneventful, day. I got off to a reasonably early start, had a good breakfast, and after about 20 miles I stopped in the small town of Halliday to cool off and take a break for about an hour in a little restaurant. Then I continued, and also stopped ten miles later to take another one hour break, in the community of Dodge, the only other stopping place along the way. I was glad to escape the heat, but when I got out of Dodge I was sorry to find that the wind had shifted from the south to the east, so that I now had a light headwind, making the remainder of my ride much longer than I had been expecting.

Toward the end of the day, with about 4 miles left to go, I came to a road construction area. Cars were only being allowed through, one direction at a time, in "convoys" that followed a "pilot car." I was told that I could not bicycle through the area, because of the soft gravel made it too dangerous for bicycles, and that I could throw my bicycle in the back of the "pilot car," which was actually a pick-up truck. So I gladly accepted, and soon was camped at a very nice RV park in Hazen. (Note: the miles in the truck were not added into my trip total!)

No comments: