Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Tragedy at Wolf Creek

Disappointment sometimes comes crashing down when your hopes are
highest. Part of life is the bitter realization that the dream you
have been chasing will not materialize, that the prize you have
persistently pursued is not attainable.

Some weeks ago, back in Walla Walla, Washington, Kathy told me that
the best huckleberry milkshake she had ever had was in Wolf Creek, and
that I should definitely go there and get one. Little did Kathy know
what an impact "best huckleberry milkshake" would have on me.

For weeks, as I labored through the heat and over the mountain passes,
that shake was on my mind.

I fretted over the fact that huckleberries are not yet in season, and
so the ice cream would be made with frozen berries. Had Kathie's been
based on fresh berries? Is fresh v. frozen the difference between
"best" and "mediocre"?

I wondered about Kathy's taste in ice cream. She certainly seemed to
be a bright, well-traveled, sophisticated woman, with enough years
behind her to have developed a discriminating taste for huckleberry
shakes. But did she appreciate the importance of freshly made ice
cream, made with only the best ingredients? Did her palate rebel
against preservatives?

Wolf Creek has a population of about 1,000, large enough to have more
than one establishment selling shakes. There could easily be two or
three such places. How would I find the best? Rely on the advice of
a local? Or sample all offerings, and then return to the best place,
for seconds and thirds?

I arrived in Wolf Creek and asked where I could get a milkshake. I was
told that the ice cream place had been closed for a long time. There
is no place to buy a shake in Wolf Creek!

Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

www.walt-fatmanonabike.blogspot.com