Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Saturday, July 12, 2008

Responding to Some Questions

Ted Z. recently asked a number of "technical" questions about the ride. I cannot find his original email, but will respond to as many of them as I can remember.

1. What's my average speed? Only about 9 miles an hour, overall. Some days I will average a bit higher, such as 10 or 11 miles an hour, but many days are much slower. Maybe this will increase as I get into a flatter part of the country.

2. Do my arms get tired from being in the same position all the time? I haven't noticed any significant arm soreness. I do change my grip frequently, so my arm position frequently changes. I never ride in a "tucked" position for very long, and normally am in a semi-upright position with my hands at the front of the dropped handlebars, by the brake levers.

3. What is the maximum speed I have hit? 50.5 mph. I am not a daredevil, and normally I am braking continually on steep descents. On the second day of my trip I was on a nice straight descent on a good road, without other traffic, and let my speed build up to 39.8 mph, at which point the bike was shimmying and I slowed down. Various other times I was in the range of 40 to 41 miles an hour. Then, last week on my way into Great Falls I found that I had hit 44.3 miles an hour on a smooth downhill run. A few days later, going from Great Falls to Fort Benton, I was descending a long straight hill on a smooth surfaced road, with a nice tail-wind, and was surprised to look down and see that I was going 45 mph; so I got into a more streamlined position and let the speed creep up to 50.5 mph before slowing down. I felt very comfortaable and secure on the bike at this speed, but I doubt that I will exceed that, and have no particular desire to do so.

Court P. asked a couple of questions:

1. On a hot day, have I ever been tempted to jump into one of the waterways that I have photographed? No....and the reason is that in most cases the swim would involve climbing down a steep bank to the river, then wading out through rocks into a fast moving current of ice-cold water. I think if I passed an actual "swimming hole," I would be tempted.

2. Have I thought about how my life would have been different if I had been raised in Montana instead of on the East Coast? Or if I had married a Montanan and settled out here? Yes...I don't think you can help wonder about such things. And for me personally I have often wondered what life would have been like if Leslie and I had decided to stay in Alaska, as I had somewhat wanted to do, after getting out of the Army. It is interesting to speculate about such things. I don't know the answer, but suspect that I would be pretty much the same person, but with some different interests. If I were to move to Montana in the future, I know one thing that would change: I would definitely learn to fish!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now why would anyone want you to speculate about marrying a Montanan? I would personally love living in Montana -- probably there are many Montanans who would love to be somewhere else. I loved it when I was there -- it is beautiful, but the life there is hard, depending on where you are.

There are lots of beautiful places in the world and I look forward to sharing them with you as our lives continue to develop together.

But even though there are a lot of beautiful places to be, and things to see and do, it would be very hard to imagine somewhere as interesting and beautiful as New York.

Love and kisses,
Leslie