Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Friday, July 18, 2008

Day 62 (7/17): Richey to Sydney, MT

Mileage: 49.5; 1,684 total

Left Richey before 8 AM, after a quick breakfast of instant oatmeal.

On the ride to Sydney the rolling hills of the past few days were fewer and less steep.

I had a long break at the halfway point, the little town of Lambert. I spent most of the time in a little restaurant that is owned by the town and staffed my local residents (a mother and her daughter, about 10 years old, were handling it while I was there). When I arrived, I had a late breakfast of eggs and bacon, and an iced coffee which the woman fixed especially for me, first putting a cup of hot coffee in the frig until it cooled enough to pour it over ice. I lingered for awhile, getting my cell phone and camera batteries charged up, and then toured the little local museum (every little western town seems to have a museum, which is a nice way for them to preserve their past). I returned to the restaurant for lunch, at which time it was packed with about 15 local people. Interestingly, I learned that the "system" was to fill out your own food order, then walk behind the counter and clip it up in front of the cook/waitress -- a very casual place. I thought it was odd that the town owned the restaurant, but apparently any profits go into a fund for the kids.

After Lambert I completed my ride into Sydney, a relatively large town. I stopped in the local museum, which had a nice art show featuring work of Nancy Cawdrey, a Montana artist. I particularly liked her dyed silk paintings: view some of it at www.nancycawdrey.com

When I left the museum I bumped into Mike (see previous postings) coming out of a grocery store. He had arrived earlier in the day, and was about to leave to go another 10 miles or so.

I checked into a motel and found a laundrymat. After dinner, I flagged down two bicyclists, Josh and Natalie (pictured below, when I get the photo posted), who were making a beeline from Portland, Oregon to Buffalo, NY.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Walt:

Thanks for this blog. It's been a lot of following your progress and your exploits.

1700 miles is a lot of miles on a bike. How are you feeling? How has the equipment been performing? What are you seeing on the bike? Is there much in the way of wildlife? Are you spending most of your time on highways, or can you find township and county roads to ride on?

Again, thanks.

kg1

Anonymous said...

Walt, your blog seems to be getting a bit disjointed. Either it is because you are tired, or maybe you are lacking ice cream in your diet. Peanut butter on a bagel for dinner? that is so unlike you!

Love you -- Leslie