Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Good Things on Way to Helena

In yesterday 's brief posting I noted that I had some wonderful
experiences on way to Helena. Here's a list:

1. Perfectly clear weather.
2. Antelope posing for their photos,
3. Nice views of osprey along the Missouri River, both in, and
circling above, their nests.
4. Managing to spit out, before swallowing, a particularly large
insect that flew into my open mouth when I was on a fast downhill run.
5. Surviving the first 20 miles (to Townsend), which was on a busy
road with only about a two-foot shoulder (more on this in a later post).
6. Staying well-hydrated in the near 100 degree heat.
7. Setting my one-day mileage record for this trip.
8. Enjoying the hospitality of Brian, who invited me to his house in
Helena for dinner. He made pizza, from scratch, on his grill, and it
was very good! Brian is a friend of Steve R ., whom I met in Idaho
when he was kayaking. Thanks for the introduction, Steve!
Brian, originally from Buffalo, came to Montana 12 yesrs ago to go to
college, liked it here, and has stayed except for a recent one-year
stint with the Peace Core in Jamaica.
9. Being invited to spend the night at the home of Pam and Mark! I
was stopped by the side of the road about 20 miles from Helena, taking
a brief break, when Pam pulled up on her motorcycle (a Yamaha Virago)
to see if I needed help. I didn't, but when she heard I was headed to
Helena she invited me to stay at her house, explaining that she and
Mark had done a lot of bicycling (their honeymoon, 20 years ago, had
been a bicycle trip from Missoula to Alaska!) and that they frequently
took in bicyclists.
So, I hurried to Helena, got cleaned up and had dinner with Brian, and
then peddled over to Pam's, to meet Mark, get acquainted with both of
them, and get a good night's sleep.
Pam's offer of a place to sleep was especially generous considering
that she was on the way home from a 12 day, solo, 4,000 motorcycle
trip thru the west and southwest, and Mark was returning from a few
days at a bag-piping competition in Billings.
Note: When in Idaho I also had met Steve W., one of three
motorcyclists I met at the Lochsa Lodge. Steve owns a ranch near
Helena, and had sent me an email asking me to contact him if I needed
anything when passing thru Helena. So, between Steve W, Brian, Pam
and Mark, I felt very well supported in Helena! And, as a percent of
the population, I now know more people in Helena than in NYC.
10. Last but not least, I developed a a marketing prospect for an
interesting project for my "pre-retirement" actuarial associates (Dave
F, Ted Z. -- expect a separate email).

Photos of scenery, Brian, and Pam & Mark to follow, below.






Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

www.walt-fatmanonabike.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Walt,
Mary in Pierre. It is so nice to know that you are well taken care of at each leg of your journey. Nobody should really be surprised how easily you make friends. Good job on taking care of the bug without losing your balance going down the hill. Very impressive in deed. I continue to look forward to reading more about your journey.

christie said...

I love the image of a romantic union between a motorcycle mama and a bagpiper. Life is wonderful.

Christie