Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Thursday, September 4, 2008

Day 110 (9/3): Charlevois to a few miles south of Traverse City, MIchigan

Mileage: 59.7: 3,335 total

This was a pleasant ride through the woods, with about a two-hour layover in the tony tourist town of Elk Rapids. In Elk Rapids a fellow named Jim, who was letting me use his office to recieve a fax, gave me detailed instructions regarding where to stop for a beer in Traverse City, and where to pick up the bicycle trail that runs through Traverse City. I followed both pieces of his advice.

The bike trail was particularly interesting because of the signs, placed about every mile, that told about the various planets in an informative and humorous way; these were placed there to commemorate the fact that Pluto, discussed on the first sign, was discovered in 1930 by an astronomer in Traverse City.

I hadn't realized, prior to this trip, that this northern part of Michigan is a big fruit growing region, and specializes in cherries. In the morning I passed a sign by the side of the road announcing the world's largest cherry pie (but I had already had breakfast). I did stop along the road at a couple of fruit stands, buying cherries, peaches, plums, and apricots that I ate along the way (and I had plenty left for the next day).

At one point on my ride I was becoming somewhat disoriented and feared getting lost, but a road sign (see photo below) gave me a clear sense of where I was.

No comments: