Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Sunday, September 21, 2008

Day 128 (9/21): Macedon to Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge, NY

Mileage: 40.6; 4,082 total

After a camp breakfast of oatmeal and coffee, Steve and I rode into Palmyra for a full breakfast.

Later in the day we stopped in Lyons at a fast food place selling "white hots," and I thoroughly enjoyed a "Dog Plate," which I think is their version of a Garbage Plate. The Dog Plate consisted of a "white hot" on a bun, which was then buried under a pile of hot french fries and cold macaroni salad, all covered with hot sauce. As odd as it may seem, this was actually very good.

(Incidentally, in this part of New York State a "white hot" is a pork hot dog, as compared to a "red hot" which is a beef hot dog.)

As we continued on rural roads down to Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge, and to our camp, we passed many old apple trees by the side of the road, and stopped to sample some. One, variety unknown, was the sweetest, crispest apple I had ever had.

We stopped at a private campground. We were glad to pay $24 for a campsite, because we were so eager for long, hot showers. The camp did have a shower room, but the water pressure was so low that it became more of a sponge bath than a shower! Oh well, at least we were able to get cleaned up.

Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

www.walt-fatmanonabike.blogspot.com

No comments: