Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Day 136 (9/29): Hudson to Poughkeepsie, NY

Mileage: 52.3; 4,421

Bicycling through the Hudson Valley is scenic, but there sure are a lot of hills. We encountered a long, steep one just after we got started, and found that there was no end to them as we rolled through the rolling countryside.

We choice of little country roads eventually took us right past the campus of Bard College. This was too good to pass up, and I stopped to have a brief visit with Jeremy B., son of one of Leslie's cousins. He is a freshman at Bard, and it was a real pleasure to see how well he seems to be doing and how involved he is in the great academic program at Bard. I only see Jeremy every few years, and his transition from a four-year old focused on "Where's Waldo" books, to 10 year old mastering yo-yo tricks, to an intelligent 18-year old so happily immersed in philosophy, music theory, and other academic pursuits seems really remarkable to me -- tempus fugit.

I am embarrassed to realize that I forgot to take a picture of Jeremy! Time flies, and I have gotten old and forgetful!

We arrived in Poughkeepsie before dark, and I was glad to have ridden through the town a few times, visiting my son Nathan who used to work there, and hence knew how to find our way to a south side of the city and to a motel there. Steve and I dined at Friendly's (where I took advantage of their "seniors menu" in order to get a free ice-cream sundae) and got a good night's sleep.

No comments: