Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Thursday, September 4, 2008

Jean-Paul

I have met many bicyclists on my ride, most of whom I haven't mentioned. I don't think I have ever mentioned Jean-Paul. But whenever I am talking about my adventures and the people that I have met, Jean-Paul is often at the top of my list. I usually say something like: "In Idaho I met a crazy (said in an admiring way) Frenchman named Jean-Paul. He was a very bright, enthusiastic, energetic guy. A retired engineer from Marseille, in his mid-60s, and a very experienced bicyclist. He started in LA, then rode through Death Valley and onward to Idaho. When I asked him what his route was, he took out a map of the Western U.S., with a map of France superimposed on it, and with a route marked out in the U.S. that followed the boundaries of France: Jean-Paul said that this was his "Tour de France!"

Jean-Paul emailed me recently to let me know that he has completed his trip. I have decided to copy the text of his email, below, to give you an understanding of what a great guy he is. Note that his three photos are attached, also.



Hye Walt!
I have not forgotten the thinguy on his bike. From time to time I visit your blog.
I must confess, as I have not found a reference of our meeting in your diaries, ...

I am really impressed by your trip. I think you will be in the New York area for the Indian Summer. The very best for a triumphant arrival in the Big Apple.

On my side, I have concluded my tour in SF. LA to SF in 49 legs/7000kilometers, 9 US states and etc
A wonderfull time for me. It is difficult to choose what was the best.
The bike friendly roads and cities (important for me: last year I have renounced to cross Italy and Greece, this was a kind of suicide!)
The warmfull people all along these days
The superb landscapes
The friendly American, especially when I was in difficult parts
The hello and the stop when I was crossing co-bikers for a warmfull parenthesis
And so on, and so on

Now I am back in Provence, my US Western trip is quite far and I have in my mind a new project: new Zealand... Do you know? It is a famous country for the landscape and wonderfull mountains, for the friendly people, and for the horrible weather. 8 meters of rain yearly in some parts!

You will see the adress of my website, but sorry for the French language and worst, it is still under refreshing! The battle is not fair between a computer cession for the updating and a bike tour in the surrounding hills of Provence or in the Alps.

Thank you again for this friendly time along the Lochsee river and I wish you my very best for the end of your tour.

PS1: you always refer to the number of miles, but what about the size of your belt...?
PS2: I have joined 3 photos from my trip
one is a hello from the Death Valley
a second one is in the Togwotee pass between Dubois and the Grand Teton/Yellowstone, really difficult
the third is a joke, my last pirouette in LA! (6 flags). This was one of my dream to conclude in this place.
PS3: I have realized a diaporama for my tour, I have in progress an English translation, If you are interested..

Bien amicalement, very friendly

jean-Paul and thank you again for your message

PHOTOS FROM JEAN-PAUL:

No comments: