Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Day 137 (9/30): Poughkeepsie to Pleasantville, NY

Mileage: 57.2; 4,478 total

I am getting closer and closer to home, and very impatient to get back to Leslie, and to Dan, Heather, and of course grand-daughter Ariel.

The continuing hills today made this day's trip the hardest for quite awhile. The distance wasn't remarkable, but the many steep climbs were really challenging. And the traffic/road conditions were the worst that I have encountered for a long, long time. Going up Bear Mountain was long and steep, with virtually no shoulder most of the way, followed by a screaming downhill descent at about 35 mph, with automobile traffic behind us, impatient to pass. And a stretch going east from Peekskill may have been even worse: a long steep climb, no shoulder, and rush-hour traffic.

Our best stop during the trip was in Cold Springs, where we had an excellent lunch. Steve and I each chose the same thing: trout, two eggs, hashbrown potatoes, English muffins, and coffee. After the "continental" breakfast of cornflakes and coffee served at our motel, we had worked up a big appetite and this was a great meal! For you foodophiles out there (Dana F., etc) I have attached a photo, below
Eventually we found our way to Yorktown and the North County bike trail, and could relax and enjoy our last 10 miles or so to Pleasantville. This trail is as nice as any bike trail that I have been on! Peaceful, beautiful, paved! (two photos, below)

My sister, Melanie, and was home to greet us in Pleasantville, and my niece and nephew, Sara and Adam, soon joined us. (See photo of Melanie and Adam -- Sara slipped away before I could get her picture.). Melanie had prepared lots of food, starting off with cantalope and chips and bread w/peanut butter to eat right away, followed by champagne, a steak dinner, home-made apple pie with ice cream (!) and brownies for dessert. I had told her ahead of time that I would be pretty hungry, and she sure came through with great food!

Steve and I both enjoyed seeing Adam's backpacking equipment. He has recently gotten heavily involved in ultra-light backpacking, and it was fascinating to see how his poncho doubles as his tent, how he uses his water-carrier as his pillow, how his sleeping pad forms the support structure of his backpack, etc. He is intent on shaving off any extra grams he can find -- I could have used some of his techniques when I was packing for my bike trip!

Incidentally, Leslie had been in Manilla for two weeks but arrived home today. It is hard for me to realize that tomorrow I will be home, also, after almost five months! And then the next day, Thursday, I will complete my coast-to-coast trip by taking a ride to Coney Island or to The Rockaways (or to both).

No comments: