Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Sunday, September 21, 2008

Day 126 (9/19): Albion to Rochester, NY

Mileage: 47.6; 4,014 total

We continued on the Canal Path, thoroughly enjoying it. I have never seen so many kingfishers as there are along the canal. And there are lots of old apple orchards with trees close to the path, with excellent, sweet apples that are a real treat.

Outside Brockport we had fun talking with Jim, on his tricycle bike (see photo). Jim is quite a guy: bright, articulate, and funny, he is a great conversationalist. His bike, incidentally, is one that he made in 1979 in Boise, Idaho. He has owned it ever since, although it was once stolen and spent a season submerged in the Erie Canal. Jim has built several other trikes, but prefers his original one. It turns out that not only was Jim in the army at roughly the same time I was, he was also in the Signal Corps and had the same "military occupational speciality" that I did. More important, I guess, we each had the rare good fortune of not being sent to Vietnam: Jim was stationed in Germany, I spent my time in Alaska.

We had a good lunch in the cute little town of Holley, and were particulary impressed with the Holley waterfalls (see photo).

A number of readers of this blog have asked for more photos of me. I haven't been flattered by this, because I know that they are just curious to see how fat I still am, in order to better estimate my weight loss. So, for your benefit, below is another photo of me.

We spent some time talking with Ian, who was hiking along the canal with an associate. Ian grew up in NYC, practiced law for 30 years in the area around Rochester (not sure exactly where), and then retired and moved back to Manhattan, where he now teaches at Fordham Law School. He loves it in this area, and returns often. I am hopeful that one of these days Ian will join in on some Shorewalkers events around NYC.

We crossed the Genesee River on the bike path, in the dark, and made our way several miles through Rochester to a cheap motel.

Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

www.walt-fatmanonabike.blogspot.com

No comments: