Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Thursday, June 12, 2008

Adventure Cycling Association

In a June 9 posting I said that I was following the Lewis & Clark Trail from Seaside, Oregon, to Pierre, SD. I should have explained that, more precisely, I am following the Lewis & Clark Bicycle Route, as laid out by the Adventure Cycling Association (ACA). The ACA, based in Missoula, Montana, promotes long-distance bike rides in the U.S. and sells excellent maps of the various routes. In addition to providing directions over roads they have selected as best for bicyclists, the maps provide "elevation profiles" so that you can get a sense of how much climbing you will need to do on various parts of the route. The maps also specify where there are motels, restaurants, campsites, grocery stores, post offices, libraries, bike shops, and other services along the route, and provide phone numbers for them. All of this information makes it relatively easy to plan the trip.

No comments: