Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Thursday, June 19, 2008

Some of the People I Met Along the Way

Ever since leaving Seaside, Oregon, the highlights of the trip have been the scenery and the people. Let me tell you about a few that I met in the past several days.

Below is a picture of Steve and Shana, friends from Boise who had come to the Lochsa River for the weekend to do some kayaking. After unloading the kayaks, Steve left Shana to guard them while he drove back downstream and then got a ride back to where he had left them. This gave me about 45 minutes to chat with Shana, a very charming young woman from the Boston area. Ted Z. -- you will be interested to know that she graduated from Lehigh in 2001. After working in NYC for several years, she decided to take a job in Boise, and is thrilled with the exciting, adventurous lifestyle that she now has in Idaho. I said she was charming, and she sure charmed me when she wished me a happy Father's Day!


Steve is just finishing up a degree in nursing, and hopes to move to Anchorage, Alaska in about a year. His interest in moving there is mostly for the recreational opportunities, and I am sure he would love it there. Steve gave me a good tip: he told me that I would find a great, unpublicized hot spring about a quarter of a mile down a trail near mile post 41 (and then another, well-known hot spring at mile post 51. I think we were at about mile post 20 when he gave me this information. Unfortunately, I must have gotten confused, because I thought he said the first one was at mile post 42. When I got to mile post 42 I did find a trail and hiked down it a little ways, alongside one of the many creeks that pour into the Lochsa River; I didn't find any hot spring, but I did find a nice sunny rock that I could lie down on and nap for a half-hour.

My time is about to expire on this computer, but I believe I will be able to get another computer right away and then continue this post.

No comments: