Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Monday, June 23, 2008

Day 38 (June 23): Sula to Wisdom, MT

Mileage: 40.9; 896 total

This ride, in its first 14 miles, went up and over the Lost Trail Pass and then the Chief Joseph's Pass. Then down into the Big Hole country and into the small town of Wisdom.

The ride involved lots of climbing, and I am tired out. I am going to make tomorrow a very easy day.

Going over Chief Joseph's Pass I crossed the Great Divide, so now I feel like I am flowing home to the Atlantic. But the Great Divide is very crooked line, and I have a hunch that I cross it a couple of more times before I get to Great Falls, Montana.

The Big Hole, named by early trappers, is basically a large (20 miles x 60 miles) prairie surrounded by mountains. It is very pretty, with numerous creeks creating almost a wetlands area. And the wetlands breed lots of mosquitos, as I found out whenever I slowed down, or when I stopped to take pictures.

A highpoint of the day, for me, was finding that the most common birds in the wetlands were yellow-headed blackbirds, birds that I had never before seen.

Note: Day 37 was a rest day in Sula.

Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

http://www.walt-fatmanonabike.blogspot.com/

No comments: