Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Thursday, June 19, 2008

Answer to the June 10 Question for the Math Geeks

On June 10 I posted a riddle, noting that I had glanced at my odometer, read the total mileage, and realized that if I could stop there it would really be a perfect day.

What was the mileage?

I suspect that this was so trivial for the math geeks (especially with the word "perfect" all but giving away the answer) that none would condescend to answering it. Correct answers were submitted by Jeff Y, who is a semi-math geek, and by Larissa W, a non-geek who remembered something from her highschool days.

The answer is 496, the third in the infinite series of "perfect" numbers (6, 28, 496,...). "Perfect" numbers, so named by the ancient Greeks, are numbers that are equal to the sum of their devisors (counting 1 as a devisors, but not counting the number itself. Thus the devisors of 6 are 1, 2, and 3, and they sum to 6. Likewise, the devisors of 28 are 1, 2, 4, 7, and 14, and these sum to 28. You test 496 if you are interested. Or the next one, 8128, if you are really interested.

(If you were to Google "perfect numbers" you would realize that you could devote a lifetime to their study.)

Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

www.walt-fatmanonabike.blogspot.com

No comments: