Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Saturday, June 7, 2008

Day 22: Dayton to Pomeroy, Washington


Mileage: 39.1; 477 total

This was a pleasant ride through the Scapouse Hills, noted as a scenic
area of Eastern Washington. It was scenic, and would have been more so
if the sun had been shining.

After a long gentle climb out of Dayton I came to a welcome road sign
annoucing a 6% down hill grade for the next 3 miles. This turned into
a 4 mile coast and, with the exception of a few short stretches
requiiring easy pedaling, turned into an 8 mile coast.

Contrary to what the highway sign (see photo) seemed to suggest, there
was no place to stop for coffee. In fact the only public service
between Dayton and Pomeroy was a state-maintained outhouse. However,
the scenery was nice (see several photos).




Coming onto town I noticed a sign saying something like "Welcome to
the Friendly Town of Pomeroy." And it has been friendly!

The folks at the general store, who served me a milkshake, were very
friendly.

The sheriff who told me it would be fine for me to camp in the town
park was friendly. (See photo of the gazebo in which I plan to pitch
my tent tonight.)

The long-time-Pomeroy family (see photo), who invited me to join them for cake
and ice cream to celebrate Ian's 2nd birthday were friendly. Ian's
parents, both grandmothers, one great-grandmother (who grew up in
Pomeroy and remembers playing in the park as a child while her father
entertained on a piano in the gazebo), and other relatives and friends
were there. I was lucky to be able to join them. Thanks, Ian's family!

Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

http://www.walt-fatmanonabike.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So interesting the people that have been put in your path.

Anonymous said...

Hi Walt - Kiki and I are just back from 2 months away in SA and were glad to see on our return that you are already well on your way on your epic journey - a really impressive feat. I very am glad to see you are managing to keep up the ice-cream in-take along the way! Wishing you all the very best - we will be tracking your progress with great interest and look forward to being entertained with your many stories of the people you have met and the places you have seen.Himesh

himmel said...

Hi Walt,
This is from the fat lady from the rest stop on the top of the hill (Alpowa Grade going into Lewiston, ID) It was nice to meet you today and we are looking forward to following your progress. I gave your blog address to my son who has a computer..ha! Any, goodluck and we hope the wind stays to your back. Himmelberger from Dayton, WA.

Anonymous said...

Hi Walt,
Am catching up with your bog because I was in Cambridge since Friday. I am happy to see that you are getting some mourishing meals and are meeting so many friendly people along the way.
Hope you didn't get too wet from the sprinkler. Hope I can post this and if I can, not as annonymous!
linda