Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Friday, June 6, 2008

Day 21: Walla Walla to Dayton, Washington


Mileage: 28.5; 438 total

This was a relatively easy ride through the hills that are just to the
north of the Blue Mountains, which I was happy to avoid even though I
had never heard of them until recently.

The route was through a rural area of wheat fields (photo).
Unseasonably cold, mid-50s, and a light rain at times, but a pleasant
ride overall.

Dayton turned out to be a pretty town. Population of about 2,700 in a
county of only 4,000. Was once the 3rd largest city in Washington, and
has a number of nice old buildings. The two most notable are the
county courthouse (1887) and the railroad station (1871) -- see photos.

While I was taking a photo of the courthouse the editor of the local
paper stopped to talk. In about 15 minutes he gave me a good history
of the town. I was particularly impressed by a story about the
restoration of the courthouse, which was done in the 1990's. Two of
the bronze statues on the roof had been missing for many many years.
Then, just by luck, one of them was discovered in Alanta. The Atlanta
statue included information that led to the manufacturer in Boston,
and this led to finding the other statue!

I took a little walking tour of historic houses on one side of Main
St, and will probably check the other side tomorrow morning, as I am
leaving town. Lots of Queen Anne and Craftsman style houses from about
1870 to 1910, although many are in ill-repair.

Surprisingly, Dayton also has 3 or 4 excellent restaurants. I had a
very good dinner at the Manilla Bay Cafe: a big piece of poached Coho
salmon with Japanese spices, rice and salad, chocolate torte, and a
Washington Reisling. Plus good conversation with other customers.

Today marks the end of my third week. Although my progress probably
seems very slow, I am actually quite happy with the way things have
gone. I have managed to get plenty of rest and not get sick, and have
probably strengthened/prepared myself as well as I could have over
these three weeks. When I depart from Lewiston Idaho sometime next
week I will probably be starting the most strenuous part of the trip.


Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

www.walt-fatmanonabike.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dad! Cormac says he wants more pictures of you and no more grass. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Walt, I read your blog everynight and it's fabulous. Love your writing and hearing of your progress. Glad all is going well and WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED ALL THOSE PEOPLE WOULD FEED YOU AND CHAT YOU UP?
Love you - /t
PS: Still have your cough. So does Alison!

Doobs said...

Walt, I really like the wheat photo with the hills and clouds...terrific. By the way, can you share basic route information? Or are you figuring it out as you go? I too look forward to seeing how things are going with you on a daily basis.