Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Thursday, June 5, 2008

Walla Walla Wrap-Up

Mileage: 9.3; 409 total

This mileage resulted from running errand and sightseeng in Walla Walla, which turned out to be a great town for rest and recuperation.

I will just catch up on a few loose ends and then get some sleep:

1. A reader posted a comment that she loved the town slogan -- "The town so nice, we named it twice." -- and wondered if they still posted this on signs. Sorry to disallusion you, Grammy, but I haven't seen that motto
anywhere.

I did ask, at the library, how the town got its name and was told that it meant "many waters." I have seen a statue of an Indian chief who appears to be famous either as a wise leader or as the instigator of a massacre of white settlers, whose name was Peupeumoxmox. So maybe the natives in this area (Cayuse) liked repeating sounds.

2. Correction: The wines I tasted earlier today were not from Walla Walla Winery, but from Fort of Walla Walla Cellars. Sorry about that, Terry.

3. I haven't previously mentioned that Walla Walla has a lot of outdoor sculptures. My favorite is Matilda Goes to the Market (see photo).

4. Dinner tonight, at Saffron Mediteranean Kitchen, was another great meal: a hot salad of grilled asparagus, grilled onion, grilled red pepper, blue cheese, vinegar; a tender, flavorful leg of lamb served with a salad of strawberries, rhubarb, and other greens; a chocolate torte w/mint chocolate ice cream; a glass of local Tempanilla. I don't know of any other small town that has such excellent restaurants.

5. Someone told me this evening that last Friday's NY Times had an article about Walla Walla in the Travel section. So check it out on the Internet, and see what the Times had to say about this town. And let me know--did they give it good reviews?

Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

www.walt-fatmanonabike.blogspot.com

4 comments:

Greg Bertles said...

greg2bertWalt, are you travelling on a bike or your stomach?
Greg B

Anonymous said...

Wow 400 miles. it sure is adding up.

I've been catching up on your posts and see you're in a food frenzy. Well deserved after a week in the desert, but you're making me hungry.

Jeff Y.

Anonymous said...

Hi Walt, from your Shorewalkers buddy, Ginny! You've been in my thoughts and I called Leslie tonight to inquire about you and learned how to reach you! Indeed, you did send me this blogspot info which I'd forgotten. Leslie filled me in and we had a good chat and I heard your grandchild in the background! Now, I'm all caught up with your activities and have read every missive. Am amazed at all you're carrying ... that'swhat goes into my car's trunk when I go camping!! Also, the pix from your iphone are stunning. Does Apple know about you? My feet are pedaling with you as is my spirit!

Kathryn Thompson said...

We live in the northwest and we've never been to Walla Walla. We'll have to check it out. This is Katie. My Blogger name is "daring one" so that's what will show up when I comment here. Congrats on passing 400 miles!