Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Monday, June 9, 2008

Planned Route: Lewiston, Idaho to Brooklyn, NY

Reader David (David B.? David F.?) asked whether I had a specific route in mind or if I was just planning it out on a day-to-day basis. Good question. Now that I am on a computer at the liabrary in Clarkston, Washington (sister city of Lewiston, Idaho) I will take a few minutes to answer that.

The first part of my route is following the Lewis & Clark Trail from Seaside, Oregon to Pierre, South Dakota. I had wanted to take a route across the northwestern United States, an area that I am very unfamiliar with, and I had also wanted to stop by Pierre to say "hi" to Mary Keeler, a friend and (ex-) long-time client, and her family. The Lewis & Clark Trail seemed perfect for this. Besides, Lewis & Clark were searching for a water route to the west coast, which meant that they were generally be sticking to lower elevations (and thus reducing the need for me to climb high through the Rockies!). In addition, I thought it would be fun to read about their expedition before starting out (I highly recommend "Undaunted Courage," by the well-known historian whose name I can never remember).

Here is a general description of how the route proceeds from Lewiston, Idaho to Pierre, SD:

From Lewiston to Missoula, Montana (242.5 miles): the route generally runs east-northeast, following the Clearwater and Lochsa Rivers, going through Winchester, Kamiah, and Lolo Hot Springs before reaching Missoula.

From Missoula, Montana to Great Falls, Montana (476.5 miles): the route generally runs south along the Bitterroot and Lemhi Rivers, then north along the Beaverhead, Jefferson, and Missouri Rivers. From Missoula, it goes south to Salmon, east to Grant and Barretts, and then north to Whitehall, Three Forks, Townsend, Helena, and finally to Great Falls (not a straight route).

From Great Falls, Montana to Williston, North Dakota (510.5 miles): Due to a lack of roads along the Lewis & Clark route, which followed the Missouri River in this area, the route generally runs well south of the river. From Great Falls, it goes east through towns of Highwood, Ft. Benton, Geraldine, Denton, Lewistown, Sandy Springs, Jordan, and Circle. Then north to Wolf Point and then east to Williston, ND.

From Williston, ND to Pierre, SD (509.5 miles): This route generally follows the Missouri River, on its east bank. From Williston it runs southeast to Garrison, then south to Bismark, ND, Akaska, SD, and finally arrives at Pierre, SD.

After Pierre, I do not have a definite route picked out (the Lewis & Clark route continues south to St. Louis. Mo). I plan to head east and a little north, crossing South Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, and then to the upper peninsula of Michigan. Then southeast into Ontario, Canada, and east on the Canadian side of Lake Erie. Then to Buffalo, NY, then follow the Erie Canal to Albany, NY, and then home to Brooklyn! (And, the next day, a short ride to Brooklyn's Coney Island to have completed the coast-to-coast ride).

I am looking forward to contacting Kurt G. when I reach the Mississippi River, so that he can join me for some riding in Wisconsin. And of course, somewhere along the line I am hoping that both David F. and Mike P. will be able to join me. And Lester B. -- maybe you can join be for the final stretch into NYC!

3 comments:

Claude Fongemie said...

Stephen Ambrose is the author.

Anonymous said...

Walt -

Stephen Ambrose was the author of Undaunted Courage...I didn't want that to bother you all the way across the country!

Dana F

Anonymous said...

Walt -- it is great that your readers thought to tell you that the author was Stephen Ambrose. Obviously there are some history afficionados reading. I think, though, that you should bike to Astoria instead of Coney Island so you can say you biked from Astoria to Astoria, and now you will have a good, ah, story, ah to tell ya'!