Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bear at Sula, MT

Sula, MT (population 50) basically consisted of a gas station and restaurant, with cabins for rent and camping behind the restaurant. I spent two nights there.

I had a small but comfortable cabin (photo to be attached eventually).

In fact, you might call this a luxury cabin, because it was right on the golf course (photo of a miniature golf course to be attached).

The cabin next to mine was occupied by a fellow from California who was a friend of the owner. He told me that he had planned to camp, but that the owner advised him to stay in a cabin, instead, because she had been having problems with a black bear coming down from the mountains to get in the garbage cans. (I don't think she told this to the others who were camping in tents!)

The second night the bear came down to see what it could find to eat. It knocked over two large garbage cans (see photo). When the photo is posted you will see a stainless-steel contraption right next/behind the strewn garbage: this is a bear trap, but the bear didn't take the bait. The owner heard the bear and drove to it in her truck, trying to frighten it away without much success. It eventually ran behind my cabin, crossed the road, and left. I remember hearing some noise in the middle of the night, but basically slept through all of the commotion. I wasn't aware of it until a walked to the restrooms in the morning, and saw the garbage. And saw a large "deposit" that the bear had left in front of my cabin.

I am being kicked off the computer, so all for now.......


No comments: