Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Day 19: Relaxing in Walla Walla

Yesterday I said I would follow up with the highlights of my ride to Walla^2.

1. After 8 miles I stopped for two hours at a Subway/Gas Station/FoodMart. Not really much of a highlight but it got me out of the rain and I appreciated the hot coffee and "breakfast sandwich."

2 After another 5 miles I was very lucky to stop at the Woodward Canyon Winery. I explained to Kellie, the tasting room mgr, that I was mainly stopping to get in out of the rain, but she was great. She gave me a good history of the winery, explained why there are so many wineries in this region and why the conditions vary considerably from one vinyard to the next, and what made the Woodward Canyon wines so special. I limited myself to one tasting -- the 2005 "artists" Cabernet Sauvignon -- and it was terrific. Look for it, and buy it!

Then Kellie introduced me to Marlene, in marketing. Marlene had grown up in Guilford CT and worked on Wall Street, so we enjoyed comparing notes about NYC and CT.

Thanks, Kellie and Marlene, for letting me in out of the rain and being so hospitable -- that's the type of thing that's making this bike trip so enjoyable!

3. I wanted to load up on pasta, so walked into a little Italian place in Walla^2. This place turned out to be extraordinarily good! It certainly ranks with, and possibly higher, than any of the excellent restaurants I had been to in the Portland area. If you are ever in Walla^2, don't miss T. Maccarone.

All for now -- I want to take my bike into the local shop for a "tune-up."


Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

www.walt-fatmanonabike.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only assume from your willingness to eat at an Italin restaurant called T. Maccarone that your culinary standards have declined significantly after a diet of instant oatmeal and powdered milk. Understandable I suppose. I tried to look up the menu but surprisingly, there is no Citysearch site for Walla Walla.

I'm enjoying the meal details - keep them coming!

Best,
Dana F

Grammy said...

I love the town slogan for Walla Walla. Do they still post it everywhere? "The town so nice, we named it twice."

Anonymous said...

Walt, I didn't tell you why my husband and I moved West from NYC - that was to start our own winery, which we have been to be able to do (with a lot of luck and a lot of work!) Of course it has a NY connection – it’s called ‘Stella Fino’ and named after my husband’s great-grandmother. She immigrated to the Bronx from Italy in the early 1900's and most of Matt's family still resides in the same neighborhood.

So fortunately for me I am surrounded by wine with my day job at Woodward Canyon as well as my extracurricular activities at Stella Fino!

Thanks for showing NY how beautiful this part of the country can be!