Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Thursday, June 12, 2008

Response to Greg B.

In a recent comment, Greg B. asked if I was killing any time by memorizing poems, as we had discussed. (Greg and I are both of an age for which a common high-school experience was having to memorize poetry, and we both enjoyed that and still recall stuff we memorized almost 50 years ago.)

The answer is "no." The main reason is that I haven't had any time to kill. I have found myself almost fully occupied by the trip, and even on "rest days" I am busy blogging and resting. Maybe when I am crossing the plains, if I get that far, I will want something to think about to break the monotony, but so far that hasn't been an issue.

I did bring a print out, several pages long, of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, so that I can have something to read/memorize if/when I start getting too bored on the bike.
I even decided not to carry a book that I purchased specifically for this trip: an excellent edition of Moby Dick, filled with explanations and discussions that could keep me occupied for a long time. Because of weight considerations, I mailed it to a cousin in Montana, and will probably start carrying it in a month or so.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Walt - I think you should only try to better yourself one way at a time. If you come back from this journey in shape, well-read, and with poetry memorized, think of how bad the other men in NYC will seem in comparison.

Anonymous said...

Walt, I wonder how you are dealing with the changing weather? I hear the storms in the midwest are dangerous. Judy

Unknown said...

Walt,

I just got caught up on your travels. Hope all is well. sounds like you are having a great time.
PwC folks say hi.

Rich L.