Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Thursday, June 12, 2008

Day 26: Lewiston to Winchester, Idaho

Mileage: 43.6; 562 total

(This is an account of my ride yesterday, Wednesday, June 11. I am in an AT&T "dead-zone," so I cannot post anything from my iPhone, but Winchester has a little library so I am able to log on to the Internet today from a library computer.)

Yesterday's ride: several miles leaving Lewiston; 15 miles uphill; a steep descent; 20 miles uphill to Winchester. Temperature about 50 degrees most of the day, overcast and damp. The last five miles at about 42 degrees, in rain. Most of the uphill was a very gentle grade, enough to slow me down but not wear me out. But there was an eight-mile stretch (mile 28 to 36) that was very difficult for me and really took it's toll.

I had known it would be a difficult day, and fortunately it wasn't any harder than I had expected.

For dinner I had deep-fried fish sticks, french fries, salad, and a chocolate bar for desert. I am still traveling on my stomach, Greg B., but I think my days of fine dining are over for awhile.

After dinner I found the bicycle group that I had seen leaving Lewiston in the morning. They are on their way to St. Augustine, Florida. I would never be able to keep up with a group like this, because they travel much further each day than I do, and rarely take a rest day (I understand that they cycled for ten days before taking there first day off).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Walt,
Ken G and I are enjoying your adventures via your blog. Ken said that if he'd known it was going to be an eating adventure, he may have wanted to come along! :) Seriously though, it sounds like a wonderful trip and besides the sights, exercise, fresh air and some good food, it sounds like meeting so many nice people may be a highlight!