Welcome To My Blog

I urge you to start with my first posting, Prelude #1, to get a sense of what the main portion of this Blog is about.


Saturday, June 28, 2008

Day 43 (June 28): Whitehall to Campground near Three Forks, MT

Mileage: 34.3; 1064.5 total

Another great day.

When I set out this morning I intended to either go to Townsend or to stop half-way, near Three Forks. When I arrived near Three Forks late this afternoon I decided it would be good to stop for the night.

I set up my tent, took a shower, and then peddled up the road mile to a restaurant for dinner. The sandwich and chile were pretty good, so I plan to have breakfast there as I leave tomorrow.

The route followed the Jefferson River. At Three Forks (which unfortunately is three miles off my route), the Jefferson merges with the Madison and Gallitin Rivers, forming the start of the Missouri River.

I was slower than I expected today, for several reasons: sleeping late and not getting on the road until 11 am; facing a moderate headwind most of the way; stoppingrt many times for photos; stopping to watch birds (prairie falcon?); talking with a guy selling sluice boxes out of his truck, by the river; talking to folks at the Lewis & Clark Caverns (but not taking the tour); viewing the Parker Homestead (see last photo).






Sent from my iPhone

Walt Wright
917 783 6540
Walterwright@brooklynny.us

www.walt-fatmanonabike.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Walt - Great site. I just found this. I went on one of your "Bridges of Manhattan" walks a few years back. Great memories of crossing the George Washington Bridge at dusk with a great view of the skyscrapers downtown. The trip your on now sounds great. You should do a slideshow in NY when you get back.

christie said...

Sounds like all that stopping is what you are supposed to do......enjoy the ride. It is fun doing it with you.

christie carson

Anonymous said...

Walt; Joan L. here, and I read your milkshake episode. We share your pain. I know that James would be personally devastated if he were to anticipate a hot fudge malt (his favorite) for all those miles and then arrive to find no ice cream store. Heck, I would have a sinking feeling myself.
I'm so enjoying your daily blog, and having traveled in that part of the country, am pleased that you find it so great. I see a book in this, I really do. We are off to the Keeler cabin this morning and will all be climbing the mountain behind Colin and Mary's cabin to view the fireworks on Mt. Rushmore.They always do them the 3rd so as not to take away from area community celebrations. We are having unusually cool (70's)weather so it will be very pleasant, but fear not, we will probably have lots of heat by the time you arrive. Can't wait to see you.